Thursday 21st March 2019,
Radio Metta

The Dire Effects of Asbestos

admin December 20, 2018 News Comments Off on The Dire Effects of Asbestos
The Dire Effects of Asbestos

Many people have heard about the dangers of asbestos. Six types of minerals from fibers are used to make asbestos. Because they are so strong and fireproof, they were used in all kinds of products from drywall to caulk, construction tape, and even baby powder. Only recently, asbestos was found in a popular child’s item as well as a school.

Exposure Can Cause Cancer Many Years Later

Exposure does not just come from working around asbestos. Tiny fibers from asbestos cling to clothing and can be carried everywhere. They are so small that they can enter the lungs where they develop into cancer, particularly mesothelioma. The effects are not immediate. It can take from twenty to fifty years or longer for the cancer to develop.

People diagnosed with mesothelioma often complain of difficulty breathing, a cough, and pain in the chest. In advanced cases, they have increased difficulty breathing, will lose their appetite, have weight loss, and night sweats. Victims of mesothelioma, as well as their family can contact a lawyer to help them get compensation. One example of a firm that handles cases concerning mesothelioma pittsburgh pa is D’Amico Law Offices, LLC.

Treatment Depends on the Progression of Mesothelioma

Many times, mesothelioma can be cured. It will depend on how early the diagnosis is made. Some people may lose a lung to the disease, while others cannot be cured. Sometimes, if the disease is not diagnosed until it has progressed, there is no cure, and death can occur within a year.

Asbestos has been banned in the US since 1989, but there are still many products that contain this substance. It can be found in insulation, window caulking, some floor tiles, and the glue that holds them to the floor. If you suspect there is asbestos in your home, it is best to leave it alone. When it is disturbed, the fibers become loose and enter the air where they can easily be inhaled. If you want it removed from your home, it will require a professional.

Like this Article? Share it!

About The Author