Pune has emerged as the easiest city to live in India according to the Ease of Living Index 2018 released by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs today.
About the Ease of Living Index
The survey is a first-of-its-kind inaugural one started this year by the govt.
It surveyed a total of 111 cities of the country, out of which two other cities of Maharashtra — Navi Mumbai and Greater Mumbai were ranked as the most liveable cities of India.
Also read: UNESCO declare Mumbai’s Victorian and Art Deco Ensembles as a World Heritage Site
Top 10 cities mentioned in the Ease of Living Index
- Navi Mumbai
- Greater Mumbai
How are these cities ranked?
The easiest cities to live in are measured on a 100-point scale across 78 indicators on the following factors:
- Institutions and governance — carrying 25 points
- Social infrastructure (education/health) — carrying 25 points
- Economic factors — carrying 5 points
- Physical infrastructure — carrying 45 points
The pillars are further broken down into 15 categories.
The aim is to encourage cities to move towards an outcome-based approach in urban planning and management.
Data credits: PIB website
Metropolitan cities in the index
- Delhi has been ranked 65 in the Ease of Living Index while Chennai is at 14.
- Reportedly, Kolkata had refused to participate in the survey
So, are you moving to these cities yet?
Also read: These are the best and worst cities of India; is yours on the list?
Interested in General Knowledge and Current Affairs? Click here to stay informed and know what is happening around the world with our G.K. and Current Affairs section.
To get more updates on Current Affairs, send in your query by mail to